Find out how much Council Tax you pay for your property

Qualifying for a discount

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home.

You'll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and live on your own.

You'll also get a discount if you live with people who don't count as adults for Council Tax.

Apply for a Council Tax discount - GOV.UK website

Who doesn't count?

These people are not counted as adults for Council Tax:

  • children under 18
  • people on apprentice schemes
  • 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
  • full-time college and university students
  • young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency
  • student nurses
  • foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • people with a severe mental disability
  • live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child
  • diplomats
To work out if you should get a Council Tax discount:
  1. Count the number of adults who live in your home as their main home.
  2. Discount anyone in the list above.
  3. If you're left with 1 person who counts as an adult, your Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25%.
  4. If this is your main home and you're left with no-one who counts as an adult, your bill will be reduced by 50% - second homes and empty properties have different rules.
Your bill doesn't show a discount

Write to your council if there's no discount listed and you think you should get one.


Content derived from information available on GOV.UK and released under the open government licence.