Find out how much Council Tax you pay for your property

Discounts for disabled people

Disabled band reduction scheme

This scheme makes sure disabled people don't pay more Council Tax if they need:

  • a bigger property
  • to adapt their home because of their disability

The property must be the main home of at least 1 disabled person. They can be an adult or a child and don't have to be responsible for paying the Council Tax.

The property must have 1 or more of:

  • an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room for the disabled person
  • extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair
Other Council Tax reductions

People who are severely mentally impaired and some live-in carers are exempt when working out Council Tax.

You can apply for a Council Tax discount from your local council.


Content derived from information available on GOV.UK and released under the open government licence